Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What is an Alpha-Hydroxy Acid and Why do I Want to Use One

Alpha Hydroxy 101

Hello All, This week I thought I would give you a brief overview of Alpha Hydroxy Acids. You must have heard this phase before and I bet you know that they stimulate skin cell renewal thereby revealing fresh new skin and a smoother texture. However do you know the difference between the various Alpha Hydroxy Acids and which one does what? I thought I'd make it very clear so here goes.

Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) are naturally occurring organic acids found in foods. These acids are used to treat many conditions. They are used to treat wrinkles, have been shown to increase the thickness of the skin and also stimulate hydration of the skin cells. Glycolic Acid is derived from sugar and has the smallest molecular size of all of the Alpha-hydroxy Acids, thereby penetrating the skin very well. Glycolic acid is responsible for stimulating cell turnover and revealing fresh skin cells. As we age the 28 day cycle of skin cellular renewal drags out to up to 40 days! This results in a lackluster complexion. Glycolic Acid has also been shown to stimulate collagen. This sugar derivative can be irritating in high percentages and I like it when it is combined with other hydroxy's to reduce this irritation and still get a great renewal of the skin. You also get the full spectrum of all the hydroxy's when you use them in combination.

Lactic Acid is derived from milk. It is less irritating than Glycolic Acid. Lactic Acid will stimulate skin cell renewal and has a very hydrating effect on the skin. I love Lactic Acid as it is gentle but very effective. I use it in combination with other hydroxy's in my line of skincare. Lactic Acid will also help with uneven skin tone, or brown spots.

Mandelic Acid comes from Almonds and is being used more and more. It is gentle yet will still stimulate skin cell renewal and help with the uneven skin color many people have from sun exposure and trauma to the skin.

I recommend using some form of alpha hydroxy acid for a mini-chemical peel effect on a daily basis. I also like to use them in combination. They can be used in a serum form for more aggressive results or in a moisturizer for progressive gentle renewal of the skin. Alpha hydroxy Acids are excellent for Acne, Aged Skin, Skin with Hyperpigmentation (uneven color) and to produce a more luminous complexion.

Any Questions? I'll be happy to answer.

If you want to be notified of my Weekly updates you can subscribe to my blog. Pass it along to friends who want to be in the know.

Take it easy,

Diane.

No comments: